Monday, October 03, 2005

Ahimsa or Becoming Vegetarian

Consider this quote by Swami Kripalu, "To read uplifting books or listen to spiritual discourses is good. But to practice even a little is of the utmost importance. The profound meaning of yoga is only understood by those who study it systematically through personal practice. The day you start to practice, your true progress will begin."

Yesterday, I chose to practice the yama of ahimsa or non-violence. Yesterday I became a vegetarian. Don't get me wrong. This is not a "holier than though" blog entry or a "Though shall not" entry either. This is just one yogi's account of what happened to me when I choose to bring my yoga into my life and off of my mat. This is my account of why I can no longer make the choice to eat meat.

My newfound choice to go vegetarian did not originate out of health concerns or even ethical concerns. My choice originated out of my desire to take my yoga beyond my yoga mat.

I have been practicing a lot of asana lately and although I am deeply appreciative for my physical practice and where it brings me during my daily sadhana, I have become aware lately of the need for more. In some ways I feel as though I am stepping into a new area of growth and yoga for me. I have become acutely aware of how I would like to incorporate the peace and surrender and clarity that I find in my physical practice into all of the other aspects of my life. I originally believed that as long as I was a physical practitioner of yoga, that the rest would take care of itself. That I would naturally become peaceful and anxiety free. And I must admit I have seen significant changes in how I navigate my self through this world but I am also aware of the need for more inner peace, less reactive ways, less judgementalness of self and others, etc.

So, how do I do this? How do I really begin to let the yoga guide me as I swim my way through housework and mommying and paying bills and relationships with family and friends? How do I live my yoga? At first it overwhelmed me to think about it but lately it does not feel so overwhelming and I credit this to the seated meditations I have been regularly incorporating into my days. 5 minutes a day of dropping into my breath above and beyond my regular asana practice.

Through meditation, I have had my wiser self tell me to turn to the yamas and niyamas of yoga and begin there. Begin to incorporate one yama or niyama into my life. Just choose one as trying to practice all ten would be overwhelming. Pick one and practice it daily. (This is also an assignment I gave to my yoga teacher training class.) Yama translates to "restraints" or "things to avoid."

So I chose to study and practice the first Yama of yoga which is Ahimsa. Ahimsa translates to non-violence. According to yogic scripture, when one practices non-violence, one refrains from causing distress in thought, word, or deed to any living creature. Non-violence is the root of all other ethical precepts.

Well, imagine my surprise when, on my first day of practicing ahimsa, I go to my church and the service is on becoming a vegetarian and how animal do suffer. The service explains how we can do our part to help stop the endless suffering that happens to animals on our planet because of our desire for meat and animal products. I won't go into the details although I will say that the service was not at all gory or accusatory and that it was beautifully done. (For more information on my church go to www.uuse.org. )

So, anyways, here I am. At the beginning of my ahimsa and vegetarian journey and I would like to add that this is one of the first times I have made a choice about diet that doesn't have do with what is best for "body most beautiful." This is a conscious decision. Certainly not the decision I thought I would put into my day. But it is a definite first step in my decision to live my yoga and live in a way that is cruelty free and non-violent. I desire to live in a way that brings inner peace and where violence is not the basis for what I say, think and do.

In the words of metta,

"May all beings be free from peace and suffering."

Namaste,
Anne

No comments: